Monthly Archives: April 2011
6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, May 2
Floris United Methodist Church
13600 Frying Pan Road, Herndon
All Association 51 Leaders and Volunteers are invited to attend our Association’s Spring Meeting! Our Association serves Girl Scout troops in the Herndon Reston corridor. If you are looking for ideas and answers, or just want to interact with other volunteers in our area, this meeting is for you!
6:30-7:00: Did You Know? session will include booths featuring the following:
Journeys library – Journey books and leader guides will be available for your perusal
Silver Trefoil information
Early Bird Registration
Leader and Volunteer Training
GSCNC Sports Awareness Patch program
7:00-8:30 p.m. In addition to reports by girls who received Destination Grants, Association committees, Service Units and the Field Director, we will have leaders gather by level for roundtable discussions:
What can the Association do for you?
How we can celebrate the Girl Scouts’ 100th Anniversary
Next year’s events
2011 Association Events currently planned
Fall Association Meeting
Leader-Daughter Campout Sept. 23-25, 2011 Potomac Woods (theme: Cooking & Games)
Leader 411 – October
Cookie Rally – January
Spring Association Meeting
100th Anniversary Association Event?
If you have any questions, please click here to email Association Chair Therese Howe!
Click here to register!
Camp Mariposa, an annual summer camp for girls interested in joining Girl Scouts, needs your support!
Camp Mariposa, which will take place July 11-15 in Oakton, could use monetary and other donations to help provide girls from underprivileged areas with to experience arts & crafts, games, adventure, new friends, outdoor fun and more.
How will my community-based camp donation be spent?
- $0.70 a re-usable water bottle for one girl
- $8.00 snack for one day for one unit of 20 girls
- $12.00 year-long Girl Scout membership for one girl
- $20.00 science experiment supplies for a unit of 20 girls
- $40.00 camp fee for one girl
- $100.00 all program supplies for one unit of 20 girls
Camp Mariposa wish list
- Puffy paint
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Craft supplies
- Glue dots
- Brown paper lunch bags
- Girl Scout cookies
- Clothes for girls ages 5-10: underwear (new), shorts and light-weight pants, sneakers
- Soap (about 18 20 oz. Dispensers)
- Hand sanitizer (about 18 20 oz. dispensers)
- Juice pouches (Capri Sun preferred) with expiration after 8/2011
- Individually-packaged chips, snacks, raisins with expiration after 8/2011
- Gift cards to grocery or craft stores
- Sharpie markers (or similar permanent markers) of assorted bright colors
- Zip-loc bags, sandwich size
- Colored foam sheets in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, dark purple, light purple, light pink, magenta, teal, white, grey, lime green
- Monetary donations will be used to purchase re-usable water bottles, which will eliminate plastic bottled water containers from camp – $260 will support the needed 460 bottles
Please contact Elizabeth Assenza at email@example.com or 202-274-3334 with questions or to arrange donations drop off. Materials should be labeled Association 51 Camp Donations. Camp Mariposa is still hiring Unit Leader teens and adults. Come join us for a fun week in the sun at Camp Crowell as we introduce Girl Scouts to new girls!
GSCNC President highlights Association 51 Girl Scout’s Project
During her remarks in the plenary session of the Annual Meeting, GSCNC President Diane Tipton told the story of Kate York, a Cadette from SU 51-5, and her All-American Care Package Project for soldiers serving overseas. Kate also served as the Association 51 flag bearer at the Annual Meeting procession of Association flags.
Kate’s story has been featured in several area news publications; click on the links to read the stories.
- Connection Newspapers: Reston Girls Show They Care
- Washington Business Journal: Girls Who Mean Business
- Reston Patch Whiz Kid of the Week
About 350,000 boxes were sold this year — 100,000 more than anticipated– making the Council’s sale the largest in the country. Troop proceeds from the sale exceed $3 million
Bylaw Changes Passed
* Changed Article I Section 5 Subsection A to adjust wording to align the terms for the Board of Directors and the Nominating Committee with the change in fiscal year. (Effective October 2011, GSCNC is changing its fiscal year to October 1 – September 30.)
* Changed title of GSCNC chief administrator within Article VII from Executive Director to Chief Executive Officer.
For a review of the proposals, click here.
100th Anniversary Dates
Nov. 10 – 13, 2011
GSUSA National Council Session, Houston, Texas
Call that Changed the World
Girl Scouts 100th Anniversary Interfaith Service, Washington, DC
June 2012 Rock the Mall
GSUSA and GSCNC host the 100th Anniversary Girl Scout Sing-Along Celebration on the National Mall. Like the Rock the Mall Facebook page by clicking here: http://www.facebook.com/GirlScoutsRockTheMall